QUESTION 1: SELECT ONE ONLINE NEWS PUBLICATION AND DO A COMPARISON BETWEEN NIGERIA CHANNEL TO AN INTERNATIONAL CHANNEL, AND TELL A GOOD MULTIMEDIA STORY. PUBLISH ON YOUR BLOG.
Channel is a TV station that disseminate information in a neutral form in which the genuinely of their message is seen. The broadcast sector is checked and properly filtered to avoid releasing what I call “Intellectual Poison” to the society to avoid misleading the mass. However it is not different from that of the BBC that disseminates world news, its information is properly filtered going through so many stages to avoid errors.
In the printing press, the same process is employed in both Nigerian press and international, words are carefully collected and edited property by the newspaper house. The difference is that errors and bizarre due to wrong spellings. i.e the person with the highest pay gets the space of his work or article to be published. In Nigeria, the method used in designating information to its audience by the press house or industry is what is called the “inverted pyramid”. The online newspapers are one of the new evolutions brought about by the ICT that make the evolution of blog. Blogs are also new stories of lifestyle human internet and current happenings that affects people around the society e.g. Boko Haram.
In Nigeria press, industry information is given in form of the inverted pyramid in the sense that the most important information is placed first that would make up the “lead” and also the “blurb”. There are some things like paragraphs that summarise the story and they give your information of what the story is all about. It depends on how captivating the story is all about i.e when the reader will read the story in details while internationally, the only strong difference is the audience in other places like USA, New York are usually engaged and attractive. The information can be giving a detailed form and mostly short and brought to the point, the other of publication is lead, blurb and body. Like the publications published by vanguard, which questions Nigeria’s poor estate and Nigeria as underdeveloped. That is http/www.vanguard.com/2011/09/why Nigeria is underdeveloped by Dowden.
The Comparisons between stations like NTA as a preamble and as a station of comparison between BBC. NTA is funded by the government so it affects the information they distribute to the masses, this places a boundary between what they say irrespective of the native of the information either true or false. They cannot say anything against the government because they can’t “bite the finger that feeds them” but the BBC is a different system when the truth is said without been sugar coated. As mass media practitioners we are obliged to give any information that infringes on human right and that of human interest should be giving and what restrictions…http/m.bbc.com/news/world.us. canada.259.7009, that’s our social responsibility.
QUESTION 2: SUMMARISE CHAPTER 2 OF ONLINE JOURNALISM NOTHING LESS THAN 900 WORDS
THE SUMMARY OF ELEMENT OF ONLINE AND MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM
Multimedia communication consists of different modes of expression such as text, video, audio graphics slideshows, still photos, animation, interactive features and interactive games. Computer is used to mediate the interaction between the user and the media being manipulated. Computers are used in cellphones, game consoles and other device as well as traditional pc. To help a journalists produce a good multimedia story, he/she must be conversant with the various medium and programme that will help the reader quickly to be using the internet and broaden his or her knowledge and advance his or her reporting in other to gain access. It is good to make research before downloading and installing it.
Various types of multimedia
- Video: It is a sound bite or separate video package that involves moving pictures. The viewer sees the results of writing not only hearing and audio. It means “I see” from a latin word “videre”. It refers to the transmission and storage formats of moving pictures. The storage formats involves digital video format like Blu-ray disk, quicktime etc video can be transmitted in various media, in magnetic tape, DV digital media. The quality of the video depends on the capturing method and storage used.
- Audio: Audio differs from radio traditionally, radio programmes are online and they are enhanced because we can listen to them at anytime. Radio journalism appears on the internet as audio files that can be streamed from a web page or downloaded and transferred to as MP3 player such as ipod. “morning edition” is a popularly daily radio programme on MP3 (national public radio) in the US, the BBC offers individual segments from a series called a “history of the world” in hundred objects online journalism that did not come from radio is not a news report.
- Audio formats: Audio formats comes in both compressed and uncompressed formats but is the compressed formats that are found in the web because they download faster – compressed formats includes MP3, formats which can be played on almost all computers, with WMA used in windows media, real used by the real audio brand while uncompressed formats include WAV and ALEF which is Apples standard format.
- Podcast: It is convenient for your audience. The users have the freedom to choose what they want to hear, when they want to hear it and how they want to give everybody else the option to listen. You can play a podcast on a MP3 player, many radio stations make podcast but also many newspapers are making podcast perhaps the most interesting is that a lot of people use it because it’s so easy to use.
- Headlines: it is the head of a story that sets in large type and it carries the title of the story and when clicked one, takes the reader to a separate page for a more detailed story.
- Text: It is a body of story contained in one page or several links; they are in form of words that makes up the written part of a multimedia story.
- Hyperlink: They are a particular form of hypertext that has a link and when clicked once takes the reader to a different page with detailed information.
- Animation: It is a simulation or series of pictures e.g like cartoons on the television. Animation is one of the chief ingredient of multimedia Presentation, animation and video varies in such a way that video is a continuous motion and it breaks into discrete frames while animation starts with independent pictures and put together to form an illusion of continuous motion. Animation on online video games.
- Still Photos: A still photo has to do with representation of a person, animal or thing which is followed by a story with the aid of camera. It is demanding because the photographer is expected to be able to form his work with a refined sense of light.
10. Graphics: Has to do with visuals presentation on some surface like wall to brand, inform and entertain e.g. photographs. It often combines text or colour.
11. Slide shows: This is a collection of photos like a photography which can be enhanced using transitions and animation. It gives meaning to a story.
12. Interactively: Is the degree in which the particular in a communication process have control over and can exchange role. It is a two way communication giving to user more actually and control. Examples are timeliness, maps and other interactive files designed for the user to experience the news while multimedia story telling deals with the outburst of information which involves all media required, so the flood of video and other media has make it known that the media will speed down for the narrative because people are not use to reading lengthen things, they are used to visualize like photos and graphics. By dividing a story into topical segments in this way different aspects of stories can then be told in different media formats such as text, video, audio, Plato slide, shows. Example of a great multimedia story is a New York Times feature on the US first lady Michele Obama, titled in first lady’s roots of complex Path from slavery. The easiest way is to learn how to create multimedia opening while you report, so you have all the images, video and audio you need when the time comes to put together an article online.